Unqualified

This summer, in our mission in Haiti, we helped nine young adults grow in their faith, be committed to daily prayer, and live out their missionary calling for four weeks.

It was part of my job this summer to lead this part of our mission, although I think many of those responsibilities came by accident. When I began dreaming and planning, I had no idea what I would be getting myself into, and didn’t realize that I would be the one primarily responsible for carrying out that plan.

Let me tell you all the reasons why I am unqualified for this.
I cannot speak Haitian Creole 100% fluently.
I have never led summer missionaries before, even in English.
I am shy.
I cannot think of hundreds of things to say in English, much less in another language.
I am scared of people.
I cannot sing. (It’s a cultural thing in Haiti that many people lead prayer by starting with a song.)
I am lacking in confidence, and afraid of failure.

And yet God used me. I’m not sure how or why. I am humbled by it and thankful.



When I first became a missionary, I used to hope that even if I did a terrible job, hopefully the benefit of that would be that someone else would look at my mess and say, “Well, if Sara can do it, then maybe I can be a missionary too.”

I still have the same hope. I hope that people see that if God can use this shy, insecure girl to speak about him in a language she doesn’t fully know, then He must be able to use them with all of their weaknesses, imperfections, and insecurities too.

I saw firsthand this summer that all God really needs is our yes. I relied a lot on the holy Spirit, and a lot on my community. The Lord taught me that I can be confident in Him. For some reason He delights in using the weak to lead the strong.

I am thankful to belong to this God whose plans don’t always make sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does it Mean to Give?

From Naivete to Growth

My First Dance Class