I'm a human being. Are you?

About five years ago, I went to a Theology of the Body conference where the speaker asked, "Are you a spiritual being?" After everyone started to say yes... He responded, "No! You are not a spiritual being. You are a HUMAN being. The angels are spiritual beings. You are not an angel. You are human. You have a soul AND you have a body."

And you know what else? Being human is not bad. It's actually not a sin. You know who else was human? JESUS. And He never sinned. So being human can't be a sin. It's actually a good thing and a gift that God gave us. My body, my emotions, my intellect, they are all good, holy things.

It's so easy, especially as a missionary, to live as if I am a spiritual being, and not a human being with a body, emotions, and a mind, as well as a soul. It's easy to live as if what I feel, think and need doesn't actually matter unless it is a spiritual thing. That is just simply not true! It's a big fat lie, okay? It is!

Recently, I've been learning to invest in my human person through rest, exercise, reading, creative activities, joyful activities, and eating more veggies. Yes, I am a missionary. No, that is not all that I am. I'm also a people loving introvert. I also like to cook, even if it doesn't always turn out well. I like to create, dream, write, and adventure. I love being outside in nature. And I just really need to eat more fiber than your average human. Because otherwise.. you know. And all of those things matter, because I'm not a spiritual being. I'm a human being.

I think as Christians, sometimes we feel the need to spiritualize a statement in order to make it sound acceptable. It's probably a guilt thing. For example, "The Lord told me to rest today." Maybe the Lord did tell you to rest today, and that's great. But it's also okay to just rest because we're tired. Or often I'm resting because I've learned to have rhythms of rest in my life. And that actually glorifies God, whether or not I spiritualize it when I'm speaking. Because truly, He made my body in such a way that my body lets me know when I need to rest. So it's actually HOLY to listen to my body and take a nap. Yes, sleep is holy.

Y'all, we need to get off the guilt train. Just get off it with me. Bye. Now watch it speed away, and try not to chase after it, okay? And actually, hold me back too, so I don't try to jump back on.

In some parts of the missionary world, we place a high value on eating what is set before you. But if you are allergic, or have some dietary needs, or just SO FULL.. Don't do it! People are actually kind and understanding about those things. And they actually want to help you, not hurt you. When I was in India, this sweet woman gave me a heaping, heaping plateful of tapioca (it had a potato like consistency) along with some other food. Now, did me stuffing my body full until I actually felt sick, because I felt guilty not eating the whole thing actually glorify God? Was there any virtue there? After the fact, I don't think so. And now, I hope I would have the self-respect, courage, and trust in this woman's kindness, to do a different thing if put in the same situation again. Similarly, if eating pasta and rice for three weeks on mission is going to block up your digestive system, I'm telling you, self, don't do it!! Get the fiber you little human, you! Go get the fiber!!!

I'm writing this because even after hearing about the importance of being healthy in my mind, emotions, and body, I still take long rides on the fast, addictive, guilt train that causes me to over-spiritualize my life. It's a real battle to get off the train and take care of my human person, rest, listen to my body, my emotions, and my intellect, and make the choices that are actually holy, and not the ones that most quickly seem so.

The Lord gave me the gift of my body, the gift of my emotions, and the gift of my intellect. He expects me to use those things also when I make decisions, and when I live my life. No, it's actually not enough to just pray, because I'm not a spiritual being. I'm a human one. Thanks be to God.

Please pray for me in this journey as I recognize my humanness and befriend it. And if you are in a similar place, please let me know so we can journey together. Clearly, I need some accountability. ;)

P.S. Here is the ocean from my trip to Haiti.. more on that soon!

Comments

  1. This is amazing. While reading this, I could actually hear you saying these things. I def need to take this advice to heart...and I also need to eat more fiber. AND LOL. THE TAPIOCA. Oh man. Also...apparently my name is 'hippie traveler'...aka, Colleen ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Does it Mean to Give?

From Naivete to Growth

Under the Shade of the Almond Tree