The Joys of Fundraising . . . Really!

I used to HATE fundraising. I found it so difficult to ask people for money when I know that our culture tells us to fend for ourselves, earn our keep, work hard, get a job, and be independent. It was humbling and difficult and awkward. It made me nervous, sweaty, anxious, and left me feeling inadequate.

In the past couple of years, I feel like my relationship with fundraising has changed significantly. While I still often find it awkward, and it still makes me nervous, I have experienced some really beautiful God moments through asking for other people's prayers and financial support.

Let me give you some examples:

1. My first year of missions, someone set a reminder to pray for me at 2:20pm every day. I love the intentionality and commitment there.
2. A couple of people who were my prayer partners for a year or two, began supporting me monthly last year, at a rate that I know was a sacrifice for them. It is incredibly humbling to receive gifts like that.
3. Someone who couldn't donate financially last year, committed to praying for me, and also sent me incredibly beautiful uplifting letters that encouraged my soul deeply.
4. I recently got to re-meet a mission partner (who I had only briefly met at my parish) who had shared a deep prayer intention with me through emails and letters. I have been praying for her for about two years, and now I know what she looks like! This was such a gift from God!
5. Many people who I haven't asked for money, donate out of the goodness and generosity of their heart. This always amazes me because they could easily ignore an invitation from God, and I would never know the difference. Instead of ignoring this invitation, God uses them to bless my life abundantly!

The past couple days, I have been reflecting a lot on other people's generosity. It challenges me to be more generous with my life, more generous with my prayers, more generous with my finances - and to use them wisely especially since everything I have has been given to me.

Honestly, I have been blown away that people really still give money, often sacrificially, often because of their love for Christ. And that people commit to praying even daily - which I know from experience is an incredibly challenging commitment to make.

It is a beautiful witness to the reality of the Body of Christ. When I say that I couldn't be a missionary without the help of my mission partners - I truly mean it. Every other penny I have in the world is gone, except for what has been given to me. I could not eat or buy shampoo without the help of others.. although, those are the minor details of the mission. The bigger picture is that there are teenagers and adults in America, Europe, Mexico, & Haiti who have been impacted these past three years, because someone committed to praying daily, and someone else committed to giving $15 per month. I am deeply, deeply grateful, and humbled by the sacrifices that others make. It also encourages me in my own sacrifices. No, I don't have a shoe collection, or a car, but I do have everything that I need. And as I sacrifice, and others sacrifice for me, I know that we are living for the Kingdom, and that is bigger than getting Starbucks lattes, or the latest pair of jeans.

Thank you for loving me, and sacrificing with me, and being an encouragement for me. It truly, truly, blesses my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does it Mean to Give?

From Naivete to Growth

My First Dance Class